Friday, May 27, 2005

Review: Morningstar farms Veggie Bacon Strips

Morning Star Farms Veggie Bacon Strips

In my world bacon goes with eggs. My mock-bacon reviews are currently based solely to bacons a x breakfast meat. In the future I will review based on a mock--BLT or added bacon to a Boca Burger to do a some kind of end to end test. The bacon as breakfast meat is a more grueling test in that the mock meat has to be visually appealing on the plate (not covered with bread, lettuce or Mayo) and is generally enjoyed as a main food and not a garnish.

Given this criteria, the Morning Start Farms Veggie bacon strips are a very fun and tasty addition to your breakfast. They look like bacon strips and have a bacony sort of taste. They cook up nicely in the pan. You can microwave them but I would recommend doing so only to defrost. I recommend cooking these in the pan with some light cooking spray for best results (as opposed to breakfast sausage links which I like microwaved).

  • Overall Rating: 4
  • Similarity to meat (but in a good way): 2
  • Similarity to actual food described: 4
  • "Worth it?" Rating: 3
  • "Would I get them again?": 4


I had to give this a low score for similarity to meat only because bacon is so unique. This is a quality mock meat but you just cannot fake bacon (which is probably a good thing) . This also got a medium "worth it" rating because I find all small grocery sized boxed of mock-meat to be on the pricey side.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hate to say this but morning star bacon isn't vegetarian IF that's what the basis is. it has casein in it.

not that is a problem.. it's actually quite tastey.. ever try it with smuckers natural peanut butter on italian bread? :D oh man.... drools.

Unknown said...

FYI - these are vegetarian, just not vegan. Casein is not meat, it's a dairy protein.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you have ever had trouble with the bacon breaking microwave-safe plates when used as directed? I've lost two plates and have since switched to another product. It makes me wonder what kind of chemicals they use if it heats high enough to crack a plate!

Anonymous said...

Yes! We just lost a microwave safe plate to morning star fake bacon. It split in two with a very odd wavy pattern along the crack. We've noticed cracks in other plates too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Broken Plates. We had two microwave-safe plates crack in two right across the middle. Thinking we learned our lesson, we then cooked the bacon directly on the glass platter (that spins and comes with the MW) inside the microwave. Guess what? CRACKED and split completely into 3 large parts. What is up with this Fakin'?!

Anonymous said...

I did a web search looking for the same thing. The Morningstar Bacon didnt used to, but Ive noticed that it makes the plates crazy hot. It makes me think there must be some kind of metal in there or something. Scary!

Unknown said...

I'm not joking, but every so often, when I microwave my morningstar bacon, my microwave will glitch out, like as if there were a metal utensil in it!!!
I use ceramic plates, as the plates do usually get extremely hot, however, I'm freaked out as to why my BACON product is making my microwave almost catch on fire..

Anonymous said...

Happened to me yesterday.